Equitas Gurukul Chronicle
Equitas Gurukul is a school initiative under the Equitas Development Initiatives Trust (EDIT), to provide an opportunity to children from lower socio-economic strata to receive high quality and holistic education. Our primary aim is to contribute more meaningfully towards an evolved society through individual transformation that can be achieved only by right education.
Our schools were first established in the year 2010 in Tiruchirappalli and Dindugal and are recognized institutions under the Directorate of Matriculation Schools, Tamil Nadu and we follow the Tamil Nadu state syllabus. Our schools offer education to students from LKG to Std. XII. At present, we are established at Coimbatore, Cuddalore, Dindigul, Karur, Kumbakonam, Salem, Sivakasi, and Trichy.
At this decade milestone year of inception, the Equitas Gurukul family comprises of 5700 students from classes LKG- Std XII and 500 plus staff.
We have the privilege of a teacher-student ratio of I: 17, which supports in enabling the realisation of our mission.
We are completely aligned with the directives of Tamil Nadu State Education Department. We admit children under RTE as per norms and comply with the fee committee order.
In alignment to our mission, we offer admissions to deserving children from families whose income is in the range of 10,000-15,000 INR p.m. We endeavour to nurture such children who do not have the means or access to quality education or infrastructure. The reports from a survey conducted during third party Social Audit by SAN-UK in collaboration with IFC, in June 2018, captures a few statistics that continually serves to spur us.
- Most of the children are first generation learners, as nearly 31% of the parents have not completed their schooling. Only 19% of the parents were graduates.
- Over 58% of the parents were earning less than Rs.10, 000 and 31% between Rs.10, 000 -15,000 p.m.
- 6 % of the children enrolled in the Gurukul Schools receive free education, 19% hail from the SC/ST category and around 10% of the children’s mothers are members of the Equitas microfinance SHG groups.
Gurukul achievements: 2019- 2020
- Year 2020, marks the ‘Decade ‘mile stone of Equitas Gurukul Group of schools.
- In ten years, we have grown into eight schools, six out of which have progressed into Higher Secondary Schools.
- 100% pass result achieved in std X, XI & XII TN public exams in all our Gurukuls every year since 2017 public exams.
- Gurukul average score of 66.6% in std XII 2019 public exam and 74% in std X 2019 Public exam.
- Academic Excellence Award (Nov ‘19): The award function was organised by Academic Committee of Matriculation Schools and presided by the CEO of Coimbatore. We received a shield for achieving 100% result in Classes X & XII. Vadivukkarasi. C, the teacher and Santhya. S, the student received special certificates for securing 100% in Social Science.
351 students across Equitas Gurukuls have achieved in various sport events & tournaments including 8 team events, conducted by sports authority of India (TN) and won at zonal, district & State levels.
- 150 awards at zonal level, 192 awards at the district level and 9 state-level awards.
- Mohamed Arham of IIA from Kumbakonam Gurukul has been awarded by Kohinoor Book of Records for winning the maximum Gold medals in Taekwondo.
- Ruban Sanjay of class 10, From Sivakasi Gurukul has secured the 2nd Place in National level Chess competition and has appeared for International Level.
- Baithal from Class VI from Salem Gurukul has won the 1st and 2nd place in National level and 1st, 2nd & 3rd in State level Karate championship conducted by different karate academy.
- Cuddalore Gurukul was awarded the“Thanga Thamarai” Award from Puducherry Minister and Collector for organizing a plethora of co-scholastic, life skill programs and developing awareness among students.
- Shreemathi from Class II from Salem Gurukul has won the 1st place in National Abacus Competition conducted by “BrainoBrain” in Chennai.
- Sathviga of class VIII from Trichy Gurukul has won the 1st place in Junior National level Dance contest ‘19, conducted by An Akil Natrajam held at Hyderabad.
- Antony Davinson of class VIII from Trichy Gurukul has won the 1st Prize in regional level Tamil poetry writing competition conducted by Trichy Central Library.
- Students of Kumbakonam Gurukul have participated in “Chithram” Competition conducted by Thamarai International School and have won 15 prizes.
- “Let’s Code Coimbatore” – a ‘30 hours’ Limca Record attempt coding fest conducted by KGiSL Institute of Technology. (Nov ‘19) Coimbatore -15 students from Class XI & XII participated in the attempt. Out of 35 participating schools, Sachin Surya. B and Sangavi. S of Class XII were recognised as Smart Coders and won third prize in Smart coding and was awarded Rs.1000. Our school was one among the Top 10 schools recognised as “Kingdom of God” for supporting coding excellence.
- A school with universal, egalitarian philosophy with focus on identifying & tapping each learner’s unique potential and nurture them to success.
- Centralised operations from Gurukul Head Office at Chennai that ensures uniform standards of high quality holistic education across all Gurukuls.
- Support from Centre of Academic Excellence (CoAE) for student resources & teacher development.
- Spacious infrastructure, complete with playground, kindergarten play area, laboratories and library as per TN Education department directives.
- Student batch strength of 30 per class in Kindergarten, and 35 students in class I-XII.
- Holistic approach to curriculum implementation that focuses on developing our learners physically, mentally, socially, emotionally & spiritually.
- Thematic curriculum for Kindergarten enabling school readiness of children, using activity & play way learning to develop reading, writing & arithmetic abilities along with personal, social, emotional & creative skills.
- Gurukul ‘I Learn’ activities, an experiential & exploratory learning approach that fosters critical thinking and application skills.
- Transcendental meditation sessions for students of class III to XII in the morning and evening.
- Structured curriculum for physical education with focus on developing physical fitness & healthy eating & living.
- English language development programmes for students & teachers for effective communication skills.
- Gurukul Alumni Club- An association that aims to ensure that our students continue to pursue higher education and settle in good careers through appropriate career guidance & facilitation.
Dr. C K Gariyali
She is a post graduate in Medical and Psychiatric Social Work from the Delhi School of Social Work holds a doctorate in women’s studies from the Mother Teresa University
Mr. Anoop Jaiswal
Mr. Anoop Jaiswal is a 1980 batch IPS officer, who retired as DGP in 2015, after a 35 year stint in the uniformed service. With a Post-Graduation in Physics, post retirement, he has taken keen interest in education, explaining complex science subjects using simple toys, he has spread this concept to over 70 schools. He is blessed with a son who is a Professor in IIT, Chennai.
Mr. P N Vasudevan
CEO and Managing Director
Mr. P N Vasudevan is the CEO and Managing Director of Equitas Small Finance Bank Ltd. Prior to this, Mr.Vasudevan was Executive Vice-President and Head-Consumer Banking Group in Development Credit Bank Ltd, based out of Mumbai for one and half years.
Ms Jayashree Nambiar
Ms.Jayashree Nambiar, Educationist is the Principal of “The School”, Krishnamurthi Foundation India,Chennai, and has been as educator for over three decades.
Mr. Arcot Sravanakumar is the Executive Vice President & Project Director for Healthcare Initiatives of Equitas. He has been associated with Equitas for the last 9 years and he is equipped with 27 years of experience in ‘Retail Trade, Sales & Distribution, Modern Trade and Petroleum Retailing in leading FMCG companies, namely Hindustan Lever Ltd, Nestle, Henkel India Ltd, Reliance Industries Ltd ( Retail Marketing) and Future Value Retail and he spent last 15 years in various leadership roles. Sravan has been associated with many social initiatives of the company and he holds a Bachelor’s degree in Commerce from Sri Venkateshwara University, Tirupathi and he also did a course in the Management Development Program on Personal Growth and Effectiveness Lab from XLRI.